09 October 2011

I am in two rooms.

With my heels to the brick, I am hanging out the window.
Blood rushing to a musty head, thousands of strings running down to cold feet
I sing of barley and basil to the couches and armchairs
yellowed by pollen from the ever-open windows,
dust dancing in lemon illumination.

There is light without heat.

In the bedroom I am drenched in wine.
We are sucking electric crystals up to our brains,
sluggishly swigging from thin necks of thick green glass;
and we are smiling at each other’s soft faces, slowly becoming fragmented,
the pads of our finger tips adorned with grain and powder.

There is heat without light.

I pass myself by in the hallway;
my right hand 
does not know my left.

1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff. I like how you used imagery here, particularly in lines 4 and 7. I also like how you showed instead of told. This is one of the most important things to do in poetry, and also often one of the most difficult. I think this is particularly well done in the third strophe.
    As for constructive criticism I'd recommend reading it through aloud a couple of times to see how it flows rhythmically and to work on the punctuation after doing this. Also there's a tense change in the second line, but that's an easy fix.
    As for recommendations I'd recommend that you read some H.D. (Hilda Doolittle). She was a modernist and an imagist, and possibly the greatest female poet of all time (in my opinion at least). Here's one to get you started:


    At Baia
    by H. D.

    I should have thought
    in a dream you would have brought
    some lovely, perilous thing,
    orchids piled in a great sheath,
    as who would say (in a dream),
    "I send you this,
    who left the blue veins
    of your throat unkissed."

    Why was it that your hands
    (that never took mine),
    your hands that I could see
    drift over the orchid-heads
    so carefully,
    your hands, so fragile, sure to lift
    so gently, the fragile flower-stuff--
    ah, ah, how was it

    You never sent (in a dream)
    the very form, the very scent,
    not heavy, not sensuous,
    but perilous--perilous--
    of orchids, piled in a great sheath,
    and folded underneath on a bright scroll,
    some word:

    "Flower sent to flower;
    for white hands, the lesser white,
    less lovely of flower-leaf,"

    or

    "Lover to lover, no kiss,
    no touch, but forever and ever this."

    ReplyDelete